Monday, January 26, 2009

Beautifully tragic

If there's one song and corresponding video to sum up how I feel about becoming a dietitian, it's the one below.


Like the small ghost in the cab, I feel as if I'm invisible. There really is not much I can do. So I stay in closed doors, viewing the world from the safety of my job. I watch helplessly as tragedy strikes one client after another.

And at the same time, when I help people, I feel I may be making their problems worse. Like the ghost peering into the cafe, I will peer into the privacy of my client's lives trying to do "what's best". Like the ghost, I will be watching what people consume, thereby making the process of eating less enjoyable. My clients will sit down to a cherry pie, and like the ghost, my presence will be there, making them feel guilty about consuming a "bad" food.

Is this what I want? Is being a dietitian really hurting, not helping? It's quite romantic, the whole idea of helping people, curing them from illness. But in reality, are we contributing to the disease? This devastating disease that prevails in society, the extreme fear of food.

And the road ahead is lined with broken dreams
So walk, walk on by
And I fail to give you everything you need

No comments:

Post a Comment